Job Title: Full-Time Maintenance Technician
Location: Fort Smith, AR
Position Description Summary:
The Maintenance Technician is responsible for routine and emergency maintenance of production heat-treating equipment and facility operations to achieve optimal levels of productivity, quality and safety. Scope of work will include gas fired furnace technologies where a combination of Mechanical, Electrical, Pipefitting / Plumbing and Welding skills are needed.
Essential Function(s) of the Position:
The duties listed below are the specific duties and tasks that someone in this position must accomplish.
- Repair and replace defective equipment and machines to assure operation of production heat-treating equipment and processes.
- Troubleshoot and identify root causes and solutions to current production problems in order to diagnose machine malfunctions.
- Monitor processes to ensure proper equipment functionality.
- Troubleshoot and perform preventive maintenance to keep equipment operating properly.
- Utilize blueprints, repair manuals and parts catalogs.
- Fabricates fixtures, stands, racks, tables, etc. for plant use.
- Inspect drives, motors, belts, fluid levels following general maintenance checklists.
- Dismantle devices to gain access to and remove defective parts, using hoists, cranes, hand tools and power tools.
- Monitor spare part inventories and planned maintenance activities.
- Conduct assessments of inactive heat-treat equipment to identify opportunities for repair or improvement.
- Maintain equipment records for all heat-treatment and heating equipment including maintaining records of changes, modifications and repairs as well as equipment manuals and drawings.
- Create and maintain records of daily activities.
- Process improvement activities to enhance facility operations.
- Provide assistance to Engineering regarding equipment and suppliers.
- Assist Supervisors in training Furnace Operators in the proper use of heat-treating and heating equipment.
- Monitor and reinforce operator conformance to correct practices.
Education, Experience and Qualifications:
- High School Graduate, GED or equivalent
- 5+ years of hand-on experience building, troubleshooting, and repairing in a production environment.
- Experience with gas fired ovens, generators, pipefitting and welding/fabrication is a plus. Certified Welder, Journeyman electrician or similar certifications are also a plus.
- Competent knowledge of heat-treating equipment including functional knowledge of design and operation of each heating or hardening unit is a plus
- Must be able to lift and carry weight greater than 35 lbs.
- Must be able to stand for long hours.
- Basic level of computer knowledge is a plus.
- Positive personality and effective interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented environment.
- Excellent attendance required.
- Must be able to work flexible hours as required.
- Must be able to obtain a forklift driver’s license.
Candidates must successfully pass drug screening, a physical examination, and undergo reference/background checks prior to Offer of Employment. Position requires physical ability to lift up to 40 lbs.
Position requires 8-hour shifts Monday through Friday, with some overtime and on-call responsibilities. On-call responsibilities are shared throughout the Maintenance department. We are willing to work around school schedules if necessary, and provide a tuition assistance program to help cover costs of attending college-level classes.